In 1800 the establishment of the regiment was set at 10 troops of eighty men and horses each, and the regiment brought up to strength and the men and horses well trained. The King now thought of this regiment as his favourite corps, and placed Lt.Gen. Ernest Augustus, Duke of Cumberland (his fifth son) as Colonel of the regiment, replacing Lord Dorchester, who took command of the Fourth Dragoons.
The Duke of Cumberland took a great and personal interest in the regiment, and gained the King's authority for the sergeants and corporals to wear a crown above their rank chevrons, and for the mess-waiters to appear in Royal Livery. There was also an increase in establishment of one hundred men and horses.
This increase was, however, short lived as the strength was reduced to eight troops of sixty-four men each following the peace of Amiens in 1802. The reduction was put in place immediately following a review by the Prince of Wales and the Duke of York, on Guildford racecourse, on the 10th of May (it is tempting to wonder whether this had anything to do with the Prince of Wales' command of a regiment who had not been so honoured by the King).